Phoenix Arizona


Six treated for carbon monoxide poisoning by azhttp
August 31, 2007, 6:43 pm
Filed under: Tempe, Tempe Arizona

TEMPE, Ariz. – Last night at 11 p.m., the Tempe Fire Department responded to

a call at a single-story condominium complex in the 3000 block of South

Rural Road. Firefighters found that a generator had been running inside one

of the units for several hours. Hazardous Materials technicians took

readings for carbon monoxide (CO), and found high concentrations in several

units. The resident reporting the problem said her carbon monoxide detector

had gone off and she felt ill. A total of 10 homes were affected –

firefighters ventilated the units and monitored each unit prior to allowing

residents back into their homes.

Six individuals were treated on scene and three of them – females ages 20,

25 and 46 – were transported to Scottsdale Memorial Hospital-Osborn.

The three treated on scene were 18- and 19-year-old males and a 21-year-old

female.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous, colorless, odorless and tasteless gas.

According to the National Safety Council, 200 to 300 deaths each year are

attributed to unintentional carbon monoxide poisonings. The generator in

this incident was used by a restoration contractor to power 10 portable fans

and two de-humidifiers in an attempt to dry wet carpeting after a plumbing

pipe had broken.

An investigation of this incident is ongoing, and no names of victims or

investigative leads will be released. Fact sheets on carbon monoxide

(CO) and generator safety are available from the Tempe Fire Department or

the United States Fire Administration Web site at www.usfa.fema.gov

<http://www.usfa.fema.gov/> .


Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s



%d bloggers like this: